If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll probably end up somewhere else.
Strategy formulation can have many flavors, shapes and sizes. But as experts from Michael Porter to Ram Charan and Robert Kaplan have concluded, the process and accuracy of your strategy isn’t nearly as important as implementing it. Regardless of your approach to creating strategy the key ingredients to implementation are:
- Gain leadership consensus for 3-4 targeted goals
- Translate goals into operational tactics
- Get the right people and resources on the bus
- Nurture a healthy organization and align the culture
- Measure what matters and adjust accordingly